Hillary Brooke, mother, sewer and crafter. Hillary has been making little girl dresses and accessories since…In her spare time she likes to…
Clothing for the Kids
Nicaworks partners with local leaders in Nicaragua to fight the cycle of poverty and create more resilient communities. These Luggage Tags are just one of their handmade items we carry
Bead-for-life! A Non-profit organization providing Ugandan women opportunity to lift their families out of poverty by making beaded jewelry. Your purchase can help transform their life and beautify yours!
UNIQUE Handmade Dress from TRESS Dresses can be let down ~ it has several decorative tucks to add years to its life! ~
Our 200+ consignors receive 67% of the selling price, with the remaining 33% used by the Exchange for operating expenses and local charitable contributions. The Exchange is managed by a volunteer Board of Directors, who also volunteer alongside our staff in our shop year-round and at our Christmas Fair at the Round Hill Club in November.
The first Woman’s Exchange opened in 1832 in Philadelphia to provide a shop where “genteel poor” women could earn money by consigning their home-made, hand-crafted items to the Exchange’s shop. The founders/managers of these early Exchanges believed in this type of self-help philanthropy and encouraged the entrepreneurship of their consignors. Operating as a unique segment of local economies – one that combined charity and commerce – the Woman’s Exchange movement spread rapidly in the decades after the Civil War and shops were now open to consignors of all classes. The Greenwich Exchange for Women’s Work incorporated in 1901 and later became a charter member of the Federation of Woman’s Exchanges in 1936. Many Exchanges have closed since then due to changing economic forces and expanding opportunities for women in the marketplace. The Greenwich Exchange, however, is still standing at 28 Sherwood place, but needs your support for its continuing mission. Please join us as a Member and/or a Volunteer, and/or Patron of our shop.
You can support our mission by patronizing our shop, which has been located at 28 Sherwood place in Greenwich since 1935. In our historic house, garden courtyard and charming cottage, you will find: · Hand-made infants’ and children’s sweaters, clothes, blankets, toys.
· Vintage linens
· Hostess and Holiday Gifts
· Antiques and Collectibles
· Frozen Gourmet Food
We will also special order items for you
From the Merritt Parkway, North or Southbound-Take exit 31, North Street. Follow the signs for the Greenwich Business District. Follow North Street to Rte. 1 (Post Road). Make a right onto Rte.1 Follow Rte. 1 for approximately a third of a mile. Turn right onto Sherwood Pl. Greenwich Exchange for Women’s Work will be on your left hand side.
From 1-95 North or Southbound- Take Exit 3, Arch Street. Stay on Arch Street go under the railroad trestle and turn right onto Railroad Ave. Turn left onto Mason St. Follow Mason St. noting that you must stay on Mason St. and not bear right onto Milbank Ave. Turn right onto Rte. 1 (Post Road). Turn left onto Sherwood Pl.. Greenwich Exchange for Women’s Work will be on your left hand side.
Where are we located? 28 Sherwood Place, Greenwich, CT 06930
Four Tends for Holiday Tables The Holidays brings entertaining family and friends. Whether your are hosting an intimate dinner with friends or a festive party with a large group, here are some ways to dress up your table, update its look and create a unique experience. 1. Pattern A pop of pattern will enliven your Read more about 4 Table Trends[…]
MoesMonkeys Clothing for the Kids